Thursday, February 28, 2008
Just some thoughts as I watched some games tonight:
- First of all, before watching hoops we watched The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. It. Was. Awesome. It's a documentary about the world of competitive Donkey Kong. The sheer nerdery on display is off the charts. I'm a fairly nerdy guy, but these guys make me look like freakin' Fonzi. I can't recommend it highly enough. It might be my favorite movie ever. EVER.
- Watching the second half of Michigan State/Wisconsin, and it's 30-26 with 13:30 left in the game. Not the first half, the whole game. If the Big Ten wants to start getting better players, they should strongly consider not showing their games on national TV. What 18 year old kid wants to play this kind of basketball?
- Arizona freshman Jerryd Bayless is ridiculous. He's got the speed of Ty Lawson and the explosiveness of Rico Tucker. I'm telling you, assuming Arizona makes the tournament, and it looks pretty likely, they could do some serious damage.
- God, Michigan State sucks on the road. And Neitzel is pulling a Dan Coleman, 1-10 shooting so far against the Badgers tonight.
- 99 total points in the MSU/Wisc game, well under the posted over/under of 124. I think just going under on every single big ten game is the way to go.
- Of course, now that I talk about Arizona, they lose at home to USC by twelve. They are a weird, weird team.
- Cal in basically a must-win game at home against Washington State, falls behind 9-2 in the first 16:35 and haven't gotten Ryan Anderson, their best player and #1 in the country in Offensive Rating among players who touch the ball on 20% of their teams possessions, a single shot. Brilliant.
- Watching the Utah State game on one of the random channels I get (the Altitude channel). Their arena is much more impressive in person. Just saying, you know, in case anybody else out there gets Altitude and was watching the game and thought "That's really not as impressive as WWWWWW said it was that one time."
- Ryan Anderson is currently projected to go 26th in the NBA Draft. He may struggle on defense due to lack of athleticism, but trust me, his offensive game will be just fine and he'll be a steal at 26. The Wolves need to trade up to get him if he's there at 26. Look at these numbers: 22 pts and 10 rebs per game on 51% shooting, including 45% from three and 89% from the line and has scored over 30 points four times this year. Sick.
- Jaycee Caroll of Utah State is shooting 51% from three. And that's with 177 attempts. That is ridiculous.
- At half: UCLA 29, Arizona St 18. Sounds like Big Ten action.
- This is boring. I'm going to give you a link, and I'm telling you not to click on it. It's not porn, and it's totally safe for work, but I'm telling you, do not click on this. Ok. Here it is. Don't click here.