Wednesday, October 17, 2007
1. There's a rumor circulating that Kentucky has withdrawn their offer to Ralph Sampson, and his choices are down to Georgia Tech and the Gophers. The rumor was posted on a Kentucky message board, and bga1 at the GopherHole says it appears the choice will be Minnesota. Lot's of discussion here. Obviously, signing Sampson would be awesome.
2. It's also said that big man Josh Crittle has narrowed his choices to either Minnesota or Oregon. Link is here, and credit goes to GopherHole poster EG9 for posting it. Crittle likes the Gophers facilities and Tubby, while Oregon has two of his former AAU teammates on their roster. The pictures of Crittle on that page make it clear he is a big, big boy. I wouldn't mind seeing him bang around the Big Ten. I don't know if they would be willing to take both Crittle and Sampson, or if they'd rather save one of those scholarships for a guard like Haralson or Joseph.
3. Speaking of Devoe Joseph, I asked Van Coleman about him during his weekly chat, and he didn't even mention the Gophers:
DWG (St. Paul, MN): What's the word on Devoe Joseph? He seems to be lighting it up and could be an all-freshman player in whatever conference he goes to, so who's in the lead?
Van Coleman: We've heard Illinois, VATech and GATech as possibilities. Marquette is waiting on Shumpert's decision before the move further on Joseph. St. John's and UConn have a little bit of an edge early because of visits already made there, but I don't think a decision is forthcoming.
I don't exactly think they know everything, but they spend a lot of time around recruits and the recruiting scene, and it can't be awesome that he mentioned six schools and not one of them was Minnesota. Scout still reports Joseph will interest, but he has a lot of schools on his list. Expect him to cut the list soon, and hopefully find the Gophers still on it.
4. Former Gopher Target Austin Dufault has committed to Colorado. Dufault is a three-star forward from North Dakota, ranked as the #32 Power Forward in his class. It had been reported that he had an offer from Minnesota, but Scout says no, so I'm unsure there. In any case, the Gophers had clearly turned to other targets, so this is no big loss. Good luck in Boulder, that team sucks.
5. Not recruiting related, but Northwestern sophomore Kevin Coble is taking an indefinite leave from the team to be with his mother, who is undergoing treatment for breast cancer. This sucks for him, and in another, less sensitive way, it really sucks for the Wildcats. Coble was their leading scorer and rebounder last year as a freshman, and the only player on that team worth a crap. Expect Northwestern to drop from the level of the Horizon Conference teams to the level of the Ivy League teams if he doesn't return. Seriously, what is wrong with that program? Not a single NCAA berth in the history of ever? Shouldn't you get lucky as a high major at some point and fall ass-backwards into a good recruit who leads you into the tournament? I mean Seton Hall made the championship game one year, Mississippi State sucks most years, but they made a final four, and even Nebraska makes it every once in a while. What a joke. Lighten up your academic requirements, join the Ivy League or the Patriot League or one of those "smarty-pants" leagues, or learn to cheat. This is embarrassing for all of us.