Friday, April 6, 2007

Welcome to Down with Goldy


I guess I'm starting my own blog. With 80 billion people out there sharing their thoughts, why not me? I'm mainly going to concentrate on Minnesota Gopher sports, particularly basketball.

I'm thrilled with the Tubby hiring. Who thought we'd get this guy? I didn't even know he was in the running until my brother called me to tell me we hired somebody. He wouldn't tell me and made me look it up for myself, and I remember just being in total shock. Way too surprised to even react. After calming down, I'm really happy about it. Even if he isn't as driven now as he was when he was younger, he's still the biggest name we've ever had here as coach, and that will bring it recruits on it's own.

I've heard some worries that Tubby might not be that great a recruiter, because Kentucky basically recruits based on its own name, regardless of coach. Well, there may be some truth to that, but I don't think it's that a big worry here. People were unhappy with him at Kentucky, despite making the sweet 16 six times in ten years. I think we'd be pretty happy with that here. Additionally, he took Tulsa to the sweet sixteen twice when he was there. I don't think Tulsa attracts recruits with its name.

Bottom line is, he is going to be the best recruiter we've had just based on his name, and he's a hell of a game coach too. Certainly better than Monson. Which isn't very hard to do.

It's a great time to be a fan. We have hope. Haven't had that in what feels like forever.


1 comment:

Theory said...

I could not be happier that we got Tubby. This past basketball season damn near made me ashamed to be a Gopher Alumn. But I now feel like we have a glimmer of hope for next season, and it feels great. Sure, the Gophers probably won't come out of nowhere and make the NCAA, but at least the excitment is there due to the actual possibility of having a winning season this coming winter. And that's all Gopher's fans can ask for at this point.