Wednesday, May 9, 2007

I'm Confused About This

Jeff Shelman of the Star Tribune has an article today about how the top Minnesota sophomores (Royce White of DeLaSalle and Rodney Williams of Cooper) are the keys to the U's recruiting.

Here's what I don't get though. What if they're not that good? Maybe the websites just haven't caught up to their play yet or something, but Scout.com has them both as 1-star (on Rivals.com neither has any stars). They both have offers from Minnesota and Iowa State, and White has an offer from Wisconsin.

That's nice and all, but those are just regional schools. I'm not interested in getting Minnesota players because they are from Minnesota, I want the stars from around the country.

I'm much more interested in Courtney Fortson, who Tubby is also targetting. He's a four-star PG, ranked as the #6 point guard in the class, from Alabama - where he was Mr. Basketball. According to Rivals.com, he currently puts the Gophers in his top four, along with three other teams that I don't know who they are because I don't want to pay $100 for a year subscription to rivals.

So hopefully Tubby will be smart here. I understand wanting hometown kids, it drives excitement, shows a commitment to the community, and is generally a good thing. Just don't take Minnesota kids just to take them, like Miles Webb. Who, by the way, has now gone from Minnesota to North Dakota State College of Science to Idaho and is now transferring again to UW-Stout.

Ok, to be fair, Webb was ranked a 3-star, even though he wasn't recruited much by other schools since he signed with the Gophers after his sophomore year. I just wanted to point out that he's transferred for a third time.

No comments: