1. The Twins blitzed the Royals again. Once again your beloved hometown 9 started the game strong, scoring two in the first (which could have been more but Denard Span has a serious aversion to staying on base), then coasted there way to an 11-2 win behind another offensive explosion from Danny Valencia. Another four hit game for the not-a-slap-hitter gives him back-to-back four hit outings and makes four straight games with at least 3 hits. Mauer, Hardy, Young, Cuddy, Span, and Butera each had at least two hits as well. This team is absolutely rocking the ball. Butera is nearly hitting .200 for christ's sake, what the hell is going on? Maybe most impressively, Pavano was clearly not on last night the way he has been lately, but he was able to pitch around trouble for his five innnings, allowing only one run, and the bullpen took it from there. They're really clicking right now, and if the non Pavariano starters can keep it together they could end up taking this thing. hahahahahahahahahahahamakeatrade.
2. Sticking with the Twins, apprently they're exploring Matt Capps. According to Tim K. at ESPN they aren't happy with Rauch and have looked into acquiring Capps, and learned that the Nats would want Wilson Ramos back. This is lunacy on so many levels. Capps is nearly identical to Rauch. Although he might be slighly better he's in no way Wilson Ramos better. Maybe a Matt Tolbert better. If this happens I quit being a fan. Let's hope the Twins leave the exploring of Matt Capps to either Mrs. Capps or various ladies of ill repute, ok? Speaking of which, ask me about Brendan Donnelly some time.
3. Just when you thought the Wolves offseason couldn't get any more bizarre. Newest news is that Jonny Flynn will be out 3-4 months due to hip surgery, which means the Wolves have now gone from three viable point guards to 1 + Bassy Telfair. If you're scoring at home, Kahn has now essentially cleared house, getting rid of nearly everybody from the previous regime and now getting started on moving out his own guys, as Sessions and Hollins were both Kahn signings last offseason. It's a bold move, and is it just me or does Kahn have a little Steinbrenner in him? Who else would sign someone to a four year, $16 million dollar contract just to trade him the next year for a player who was immediately cut? He basically kicked him out of bed in the middle of the night and didn't even supply cab money. Ain't right.
4. The baseball world holds its collective breath. Super phenom (and fantasy team savior) Stephen Strasburg was scratched from his start against the Braves last night after he was "unable to get loose" in the bullpen. That was the official explanation. They said there was no pain or anything, he was just unable to get loose. I usually find a couple of kamikazes does the trick. Seriously though, this could potentially kill baseball.
5. NFL Writers in Cincinnati are going to be busy. The Bengals, in keeping with their tradition of being a complete mess, have signed Terrell Owens. If you were in the same room as me right now you would see me showing how much I care about this by making fart noises with my mouth.
6. Best Second-Baseman Ever? Rickie Weeks went deep again last night, which makes three consecutive nights and gives him six home runs in his last ten games. For the year he's now up to 22 home runs, and is basically having the same season as Joe Mauer - if Mauer had 22 home runs, 7 steals, and played a god awful second-base. But who cares about fielding when you're destroying the ball? He might not have the average you'd always want and he strikes out quite a bit, but he also can take a walk and when he makes contact he hits the ball a ton. So exactly like the exact opposite of every Twins' middle infielder ever, and Gardy's worst nightmare.
I'm hoping tomorrow's post is going to be a gopher hoops recruiting rundown, something I've been really neglecting since I am spending basically all my energy on the Twins for some reason. Well, that and preparing the house for the new kid, who is really just going to be a time sink and money drain. Joy!