Friday, July 9, 2010

This shouldn't be a surprise

I was listening to the Paul Allen show today, and PA went on and on about how Joe Mauer doesn't come up big in big spots and isn't clutch and blah blah blah. I don't really believe in clutch, which is irrelevant here I suppose, but I also assume anything PA says is wrong at worst and misinformed at best. So I checked.
In 2010, in situations defined as "late & close" by baseball-reference.com (7th inning or later, team tied, ahead by one, or the tying run on-deck or better). Mauer's stats in 51 plate appearances in those situations:
.463/.549/.707 with 2 of his 4 home runs

With 2 outs and runners in scoring position this year, he's hitting .414.  In tie games, he's hitting .393.

So, once again, PA is an idiot.

1 comment:

rghrbek said...

PA is a self adulating boner. I cannot listen to him and haven't in a long time.

Plus I think he is light in the loafers.