Monday, March 9, 2009

First Fantasy Baseball Draft of the Year


I was so antsy for fantasy baseball that I signed up for a free yahoo league and drafted a team tonight. Things kind of fell apart because it moved too quickly (autodrafters) and it got to the point I couldn't cross people off my list so I kind of had to wing it (and also I was drinking). Here's where I ended up

C - Matt Wieters (buying into the hype)
1b/3b - Chris Davis (ditto, but with some production to back it up)
2b - Howie Kendrick (sort of ended up here by default, could be worse)
3b - Aramis Ramirez (got him when I didn't realize it was my turn and I timed out, but I was considering him here anyway so it's ok)
SS/2B/OF - Alexei Ramirez (good in the outfield, awesome as a SS)
OF - Grady Sizemore (40-40 this year?)
OF - Matt Holliday (leaving Coors will hurt, but I still think .300/.370/.500 with 25 homers and 20 steals is possible and even likely)
OF - Justin Upton (LOVE this guy this year. LOVE him.)
UTIL - OF Lastings Milledge (either going to breakout this year or whither away, betting on the breakout)

BENCH- SS Orlando Cabrera (don't particularly like him, but need a backup SS)
BENCH - 1B/3B/C Pablo Sandoval (could be a rookie of the year candidate in the NL, and qualifies at catcher)
BENCH - OF Carlos Gomez (so call me a homer. He gives me steals if nothing else - or at least did the first half of last year. Plus, Snacks says he will be thirty/thirty someday)

SP - Tim Lincecum (what's there to say - dude rocks)
SP - Rich Harden (don't particularly care for this pick - should have taken Cliff Lee or Felix Hernandez - both were available - instead. If Harden stays healthy it could still work)
SP - Ricky Nolasco (quietly had a great year last year, and PECOTO loves him)
SP - Zack Grienke (I dissed him last year, but now studying the numbers I can admit he looks like the real deal - not JD Durbin)
RP - Mariano Rivera - seems old and all, but a 0.67 WHIP last year? I bet this dude is throwing PECOTA into a tizzy, who could compare?
RP - Jose Valverde - 44 saves last year, and also is a free agent this year and will likely be traded to a contender = more saves
RP - Chad Qualls - PECOTA doesn't like him, but like F computers man. Bobby Fischer rules!

BENCH - SP Justin Duchscherer - was an all-star last year before getting hurt, and was helped by an insane .238 BABIP. Still, seems like a good gamble with one of my last picks.
BENCH- SP Jason Schmidt - I have no idea what to expect since he hasn't pitched since like 2005. Other choice here was Ian Snell of the Pirates, and although he is supposed to have potential the fact that he got the crap kicked out of him last year and he pitches for an awful team scared me away. Who knows, Schmidt might work out.

Guys I love who I missed - Evan Longoria, BJ Upton, Cole Hamels (:sadface:), Carl Crawford, Dan Haren, Nick Markakis, Matt Kemp, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, Jon Lester, Francisco Liriano, James Loney, Conor Jackson, Scott Baker, Carlos Guillen, Alex Gordon, Chris Iannetta (shut up Sidler), Adam Jones. I also left Jason Kubel out there. It makes me sad inside. Maybe I should drop Gomez, but I might need the steals.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like we're mostly on the same page again this year. I don't really care to take a chance on Holliday though.

And I'd rather draft your boyfriend Iannetta late rather than completely buy the hype on Weiters.

WWWWWW said...

Neither do I. It just happened.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the way Delmon is lighting it up this spring? Look out. Do you think this year is too early for him and Gomez to both make it to the all-star game, or do you think next year is more realistic?

WWWWWW said...

Funny story. My team name in this league is "Delmon Young Sucks"

Anonymous said...

From the ESPN chat with Baseball America today -

Josh (Boston, Ma): When does Matt Weiters make his debut?

Ben Badler: As soon as his service clock has been delayed long enough to keep him in Baltimore for an extra year.

uh oh

WWWWWW said...

Crap, I was afraid they were going to do that.