Thursday, July 17, 2008

Yankee Stadium Hates Me


So this whole side trip to Yankee Stadium to watch the Twins next week is turning into a debacle greater than the Timberwolves front office. After talking to many people much more knowledgeable than me, it's looking less and less likely that I can swing this, despite being just twelve miles from the stadium. My options are:

Drive there: However parking has always been tough, and is even worse now with the construction on the new stadium. If I do manage to somehow find parking, it's going to be through the roof expensive. Traffic is going to be a real bitch, especially after the game, as well. Additionally, walking to my car after the game brings up the distinct possibility of being knifed.

Cab it: Not much of an issue getting there other than the expense would be considerable and would be double on the way back. It is apparently next to impossible to find a cab after the game, however, without walking about six blocks to some kind of main hub area. This takes me out of the security zone, not exactly good as is, and brings an even greater possibility of being knifed.

Subway: Normally an option I would gladly take, as I've figured out subways in Rome and Boston with no problems. However, despite being only 12 miles away, because of how it is setup the subway ride would be about an hour and a half each way because I have to go down into Manhattan and then back up to the stadium. Additionally, because where I am is fairly remote, at the end of the night there are only two cars that could get me back which run at 10:30 and 12:53. Did I mention the entire ride would consist of switching cars not once, not twice, not three times, but four times? Since I'm scheduled to land at 5pm, with NY traffic I probably won't get to the hotel until at least 6:30, give me another hour and a half on the subway, and I won't arrive until 8 at the game at best. Then, to make sure I don't miss that 10:30 train, I'd have to leave the game at 9:15. Not sure if it's worth the hassle for an hour of the game. Also, since that last ride is so remote, the whole knifing thing exists there, too.

Park somewhere, then Subway: Pretty much the only viable option left. If I can find somewhere near a subway stop to park the car and then take a shorter subway option to the game. This is what I'm going to try to figure out now. I have to hope I can find somewhere a) near a stop with a parking lot b) that won't tow a car that parks there, and c) won't get broken into as all my stuff will be there. Pray for me.

Just go to a bar by the hotel: I'll be honest, at this point this is looking more and more likely. I thought being twelve miles away would make this an easy trip, but it's obviously becoming a pain in the goat ass. I'm not giving up, not at all, but I am rather disappointed and hate the Yankees and New Jersey with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns (note: this is slightly more than before.)

Of course, I'll probably be delayed two hours arriving anyway, so it won't make a difference. F you NY.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't rule out the options in which you may be knifed. Think of the great story you would be able to tell if you survive, and the story we would be able to tell if you didn't. Don't be so selfish, think about your readers.

Anonymous said...

Pony up the $40 bucks for the 12 mile cab ride there. Don't be cheap, its frick'n Yankee stadium. I've been there and its well worth it. Can't you make it some sort of business expense or use your daily stipend.

Anonymous said...

quitter

Anonymous said...

If you can get to Manhattan/Grand Central, take the six up to Yankee Stadium. There will be plenty of trains/subway cars after the game. Follow the masses.

WWWWWW said...

The problem is getting back to New Jersey.