I know you're wondering if this blog is dead. It's not, I promise. I've just been really busy. What with work, heading to the cabin, kids' stuff, and my wife currently reading 50 Shades of Grey, I just am having trouble finding time to blog anything. And there isn't exactly any motivation either. Look at the Twins. They're terrible, and the Gophers don't play for like, 100 years. I don't know. But I haven't been following any sports too closely the last few days/weeks, so let me look around and see if I see anything interesting. And I better hurry too, because it looks like Mrs. W is cracking the book open again.
- Because right now I can't possibly summon the will to blog about the Twins but I know I should at least try to start with something local I suppose we could discuss the Vikings' NFL draft. Obviously everyone knew Kalil was the guy the whole time and the Vikings did quite well to get three extra picks to move down a spot and still get their guy, especially because it turns out nobody else was remotely interested in moving down to that spot so suck it Cleveland. That safety they moved up to get at the end of the second round sounds pretty cool too since I heard somebody say there were really only two good safeties and they moved up to get one of them.
As far as the draft after that I am willing to admit I don't have a clue and if you know a whole lot about the rest of who they picked you should be embarrassed. Seriously, anybody who watched more than the first round of that garbage should be forced to take a class on not being a moron. I bet you're the kind of guy who watched the 3-hour show on ESPN the day the NFL schedule was released. Seriously you people and your football. As Jessie Spano once said, "who wants to watch a bunch of barbarians kicking each other's butts"? Ok I'm not quite there because I enjoy watching football, but the obsession in this country makes me realize why Nickelback and Olive Garden are so popular. Oh, and blood sausage. People like blood sausage.
Seriously, people are morons. Why do you think they end up making money at the end of Field of Dreams? Because people get in their cars and drive to Iowa without knowing why to pay money to stare at a ball field full of players they can't see? Everyone always says the ending of that movie (wanna have a catch?) is so great but it just pisses me off.
- NBA Playoffs are up and running and since that's the best time to watch the NBA I might as well comment, even though we're only a couple games into round 1. And obviously it's super lame with the Dwight Howard fake back injury and the Derrick Rose ACL because the Heat are going to just waltz into the Finals. You can try to talk yourself into the Celtics, especially if you're Bill Simmons, but it's looking like they're going to struggle to even get past the Hawks and I just don't see them mounting any serious challenge to the Heat, nor anyone else in the East. Which I guess is good in a way, because what's better than rooting against a villain? There's something very satisfying about watching LeBron make it to the finals again and lose.
Who will he be playing is the question? Going into the playoffs I'd have said Oklahoma City and I don't see any reason to change that prediction. I'm not ready to say they're ready to be the champs quite yet but going against the defending champs and winning a couple of close games is the way to get there, even if the defending champs don't have Tyson Chandler anymore who is a complete stud pimp. But really I can see any team other than the Jazz ending up coming out of the West.
The Nuggets would probably be the least likely and it'll be tough for them to get past the Lakers, but Ty Lawson is all crazy good now all of a sudden and this late season emergence of Kenneth Faried make them interesting (and am I the only one who finds "Manimal" a little bit racist? Anyone? No? Let me guess you think the gorillas in the barnyard weren't racist either.) Every other team at least has a shot, and the Spurs have the #1 seed, a collection of second round picks, and are supposedly the favorite but that just seems weird because Tim Duncan is a hundred years old and kind of a poofer. I almost feel like I'm going to have to root for the Lakers because I don't know who else can beat the Heat. But what if the Heat played the Lakers? Who would I root for? It would be like choosing between my two kids. Actually, do you have two kids under the age of 4? Because I'm totally lying, it would be almost exactly like picking between my two kids.
- I just did 36 push-ups. Suck it.
- Who grounds out to second base more than Mauer? Nobody, that's who. Is there a way to look this up? I'd do it but I'm running out of time.
- Seriously question though, do you think when Marky Mark goes home for like, Thanksgiving dinner he just teases the shit out of Donnie? I mean really? Rizzoli and Isles? Blue Bloods? Zookeeper for fucks sake? Those are the last three things on his imdb list. When Marky makes a bad flick it's something like Contrabrand (made $66 million) or Date Night ($98m) which at least makes money, and he's getting nominated for awards along the way. Donnie was just in a TV movie with Brian Dennehy who I'm pretty sure is dead. Really, I bet when they get together for Christmas everybody gets drunk and Mark starts wadding up and throwing hundred dollar bills at Donnie's head and at first Donnie wants to fight but then he realizes if he keeps sitting there and taking it eventually he's going to get his rent paid so he just takes it and then he ends up making Marky Mark a sandwich.
- Gotta go