Monday, March 25, 2013

He Gone

I certainly wasn't expected to be writing this post quite this quickly, but it's now confirmed that Tubby is out at Minnesota.  I actually thought the first round win over UCLA would save him, but apparently not and so it's time to move on.

I expect there to be plenty of shock and outrage in the National Media talking about "who do the Gophers think they are" and what not, but I'm sorry there's not reason this program shouldn't be at least the NCAA hunt every single year.  Perhaps worst of all was watching Smith's seemingly inability to coach, whether game planning before the game or in-game adjustments. Add in the state of recruiting and the importance of getting at least one of Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaugh, or Reid Travis and it makes sense to move quickly  The simple fact alone that I wrote like four different posts wondering what was wrong with Smith tells me all I need to know about it being time to move on.

So now we wait.  I'll have plenty more posts coming about the coaching possibilities as well as recapping the Gophers weekend and trying to remember anything that happened in Chicago this weekend, but I wanted to get these thoughts up quickly.  I'm not celebrating Tubby's firing today, but I do think it was the right move.  Hard to believe it's been that long since the Smith hiring and the program is only slightly better off that where it was when Tubby took over.  Hell, I started this blog within a few days of his hiring, so it would probably make sense to shut 'er down along with Tubby - but I'm not going to.

I'll be back with more later.  Probably.

No comments: